March 2, 2011

Warning.....May Be A Choking Hazard

And this cute little barrette is the culprit-





Who would have thought that my little princess would take this cute little barrette out of her hair in a matter of moments and try eating it. Well, she did and it was the most scariest thing I have been through as a Mom.

It was just another typical rush around morning trying to get out of the door to get to work. This particular morning it was snowing so I called my most favorite most caring and giving Aunt ever and asked if Brynlee could come to her house that day instead of sweet Grandma Deni who lives in West Jordan. And of course my Aunt was more than happy to have Brynlee, thank goodness!!

As we were rushing out I grabbed this little barrette to pull Brynlee's hair back out of her eyes. And out the door we went. The drive was short since my Aunt just lives about a mile away, Thank Goodness! (AGAIN)

Once we arrived I got Brynlee out of the car and her blanket was over her car seat so I didn't take a look at her as I was trying to hurry because it was a blizzard. As I was walking into the house I could hear her like coughing so once we got inside I set her car seat down on the floor an lifted her blanket. I was saying to my Aunt that I think she is choking as I stood there watching her. My Aunt came right over and Brynlee started throwing up horribly. My Aunt hollered to get her out of her seat and I noticed she was throwing up blood. My Aunt began calling 911 and she said to me to see if she has anything in her mouth. I kept thinking what the heck could be choking on. I didn't give her anything before we left the house. It never crossed my mind that it could be her barrette. I never even noticed it was gone out of her hair.

I put my finger in her mouth and felt something really far back and realized it was that dang barrette. So I reached in again and pulled it out covered in blood and flem. The paramedics still came even though I was able to get it out. Because if the blood we wanted to make sure everything was OK.

It seemed that as all of this was happening my Aunt and I were pretty calm. While we were waiting for the paramedics to come I was getting Brynlee out of her wet clothes and that's when things started to settle in my mind. It scared me half to death and it just took a moment for it all to sink in!


The medics came and checked Brynlee out and fortunately she was just fine! Her throat of course would be super sore for awhile but that didn't seem to last too long. I still can't believe this happened. The rest of the day I couldn't quit thinking about how lucky we were and going through the what if's. It still just scares me to death to think of these. We are just so very fortunate!



Here are Brynlee's Hero's for the day! Of course the whole squad was sent to save our little princess. So many big guys for such a tiny little girl!





This is a picture my Aunt sent me later on in the day. It sure helped me get through the rest of my day and brought a smile to my face knowing she was happy and having fun with our very favorite Auntie!. (Yes, I went to work after this whole ordeal. Don't ask me how!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how scary..im glad everything was okay...

Ashlie said...

OMG! That is so scary!! I can't imagine what you must have been thinking when you saw the blood. I am so paranoid about what Makayla puts in her mouth that I don't even let her eat anything that is hard like apples, etc. She used to LOVE to play with my big hoop earrings and I never thought anything about it because they didn't look big enough to put in her mouth. Sure enough she got the entire thing in her mouth and even though some of it was still sticking out it was far enough back in her throat that she was gagging and throwing up. The scary thing is that we couldn't really even hear it, luckily she came over to us and we saw the panic on her face. I am so happy that she is okay....and that you got pictures! You have to have pictures of events like that even if they are horrible!